Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage Review

Baby Teeth
by Zoje Stage


🌕🌕🌑🌑🌑

This is probably one of the most rage inducing novels I've ever read. In Baby Teeth we follow the highly dysfunctional Yensen family. Suzette is the wife and homemaker; she cooks, she cleans, she home-schools Hanna, and she never gets a break because Hanna terrifies every babysitter to the point where they won't come back. Suzette tries to tell her husband what is going on but he refuses to listen because Hanna is his beautiful angel. He doesn't listen to anyone who tries to tell him what his daughter is doing. I mean, the babysitters, the teachers, and her own mother try to tell him. It isn't until things get very serious that he finally starts paying attention and gets Hanna the help she desperately needs.

I HATED THE CHARACTERS. I absolutely hated the Yensen family. Suzette, the mom, was spineless; she allowed Hanna to do absolutely crazy things with no consequence. And then when she tried to tell Hanna's father what was happening he pushed it all aside. The dad was a complete ass! Not only did he make excuses for Hanna and deny all the things her mother, her teachers and other adults were telling him, he treated Suzette unfairly anytime she tried to discipline her. There are a couple times in the book where Hannah does creepy things to her mother and her dad, puts them off as thoughtful. Hanna was just an insane little creepy mute. This book had me wanting to scream at the characters to smarten up. My hatred of the characters is based on the people they were written as and not the writing of the author. I think the author done a great job portraying the characters, they were just infuriating people I would not want to associate with in real life.

There were a few times when I wanted to DNF it but I kept on reading. The only thing that saved any of this book for me was the writing. I think the author is talented and was able to keep the story amusing enough to make me want to know what happened. While I would never read this book again.. EVER.. I wouldn't not recommend it. This is my first psychological 'creepy child' focused read and I'm not sure if I will every read another, so this could just not be my cup of tea. Although, I did read Pet Semetary and loved it, I do find this to be quite a different creepy child factor. It definitely isn't for everybody, however, fans of the creepy child troupe would probably enjoy this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz REVIEW

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz 🌕🌕🌕🌕🌑 Blurb When fifteen-year-old Chris Moore is tragically killed in a car crash, Argy...