Monday, May 20, 2019

Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want To Come by Jessica Pan

Sorry I'm Late, 
I  Didn't Want To Come 
By Jessica Pan


⭐⭐⭐☆☆

Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come follows shy introvert (or "shintrovert") Jessica Pan for one year as she seeks to make a lifestyle change. Realizing that she needs to make a serious adjustment while fully clothed in a sauna, Pan makes the decision to get out of her comfort zone by doing things she never thought she would do. Using humor and honesty Pan takes us on her one year journey of saying "yes" to all the experiences she never thought she would have.

I really wanted to enjoy this book, I really did. Unfortunately, I didnt. I found this book hard to get through as most of it couldn't keep my attention. I found myself taking frequent breaks as I couldn't get through much at a time. There were two things about this book that were a bit of a saving grace and made it possible to make it all the way through. The first would be all the personality that was poured into the pages. It felt like Pan was there telling me the story herself. The second was the humor. There were parts in this book that made me laugh out loud, literally. The funny parts were the only relatable parts for me, as I have actually had quite similar thoughts at times. One of these in particular is when Pan says:

I run down. Sam is reheating the turkey and whipping up the vegan mashed potatoes. I take a look at my sweet potatoes covered in butter, sugar, and marshmellows. The marshmellows have failed to form that camp-fire-y, charred glaze and are instead completely melted, the white dissolving into clumps among the orange sweet potatoes.

"It looks like I spit my toothpaste out in it," Sam says.

I want to kill him. But there are too many witnesses.

I found this to be hilarious and relatable, as I'm sure most if not all individuals with a smart-ass partner would relate to it. There are many more laugh out loud moments in this book, this is just my personal favorite.

Overall, I can't say it was a bad book. I didn't enjoy the overall story but it definitely had it's redeeming qualities. This book would probably be enjoyed most by "shintroverts" who are looking to become more outgoing or even considering trying something out of their comfort zone.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for good humor, but I'm sorry you didn't love this more!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the humor really is what got me through it. But I'm sure someone else would enjoy it more.

      Delete

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz REVIEW

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz 🌕🌕🌕🌕🌑 Blurb When fifteen-year-old Chris Moore is tragically killed in a car crash, Argy...