Friday, May 17, 2019

Flashback to My Childhood Favorites

☆Flashback Friday☆

My Childhood Favorites
♡♡♡

Who doesn't remember the one that started it all? The book that grabbed your imagination and hauled you into another world from which you've never wanted to escape? Eventually you move on to the next one, hungry for the next euphoria that comes only from the escape to another adventure brought to you by the written word. The first is never forgotten though, as time passes its magical adventures only get sweeter as you experience the sweet nostalgia brought only by the passage of time. Below are some of my personal favorites whose adventures still make me smile no matter how long its been since I've read them. 


An enjoyable, funny way to address bedtime fears and scared-of-the-dark issues

Guess what's growing in the basement . . . a baby monster!

Minneapolis Simpkin is hiding it down there. But a monster is a hard thing to keep secret, especially one that hiccups and cries, and gets bigger every hour.

This Level One I Can Read is perfect for kids learning to sound out words and sentences. From the beloved creator of Amelia Bedelia, Peggy Parish, and illustrated by Caldecott medalist Marc Simont. 

This was one of my earliest book loves as a child. When Minneapolis Simpkin wants a pet things get a little... difficult. It was so much fun reading and rereading about having a monster for a pet and why it probably isn't such a great idea. After reading this book I would find myself wondering what exactly it would be like to own a pet monster. I never actually got to own one, unless you count my evil cat that I absolutely loved, but thanks to this book I was able to dream about it.


One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish is a 1960 children's book by Dr. Seuss (Theodor Seuss Geisel). A simple rhyming book for learner readers, it is a book with a freewheeling plot about a boy and a girl, and the many amazing creatures they have for friends and pets. One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish was part of the Beginner Book Video series which included Oh, the Thinks You Can Think! and The Foot Book.

Of course there is a Dr. Seuss book in here! I loved all the little stories in this one. This was my go-to when I wanted to read but didn't want to stay sat down for more than a couple minutes at a time. I used to read the stories in different voices to keep things interesting and entertain my siblings when they would want to listen. I actually use these voices now to read to my own kids and they love them. My first taste of creative expression through performance of the written word!


BEANY (NOT BEANHEAD) introduces Bernice Lorraine Sherwin-Hendricks, aka Beany — a girl with twenty-three freckles, a bossy best friend, and a tendency to worry over just about everything!

With Susan Wojciechowski's sure-handed touch for capturing the real concerns of a regular kid, this enormously entertaining Beany book will have middle-grade readers laughing with recognition.

This is the first chapter book I ever loved. I read this book at least once a week until it mysteriously disappeared on me (cue the heartbreak). I would use my nightlight to read this long after I was supposed to be asleep, there was something about it that just comforted me so much and I couldn't sleep without at least one chapter. It was like a security blanket that I could read, it kept me safe and helped me drift off to pleasant dreams.  



While solving the mystery of an old man's disappearing fortune, Nancy ends a family feud and reveals the identity of an orphan of unknown parentage.


Ahh, Nancy Drew. I was given this box set as a gift for Christmas about 15-20 years ago and it is still one of my most favorite gifts I've ever received. There was something about this book that just pulled me back into it again and again. It started up a love of mystery novels that I never forgotten. Granted, I've now moved onto James Patterson and other more adult related mystery authors and novels, but this one is a special love that I'll never forget.

Thank you for joining me for this post everyone. I hope after reading it you feel as warm and nostalgic as I do. So tell me, have you read any of these books? What were some of your first favorites? Do you remember what book sparked that love of reading? Tell me all your book loving details, I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz REVIEW

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz 🌕🌕🌕🌕🌑 Blurb When fifteen-year-old Chris Moore is tragically killed in a car crash, Argy...