Friday, May 10, 2019

Pet Sematary by Stephen King Review

Pet Sematary
By Stephen King



⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

"Sometimes dead is better..."

Louis Creed never thought that accepting a job at a college in Maine and moving his family to Ludlow would change their lives forever. Just behind the family's new house is a path leading to the "Pet Sematary", a place the children of the neighborhood keep tended and bury their pets. Just behind the Pet Sematary is an ancient Indian burial ground that brings the dead buried there back to life. Louis and his family become close with Jud and Norma Crandall, their neighbors. On Halloween night Norma has a heart attack but thankfully, she survives due to Louis being there to help her. One night while Louis' family is away for Thanksgiving the family cat Church gets killed on the busy road. Knowing how upset Louis' daughter would be over the death of her beloved cat and wanting to say thank you to Louis for helping Norma, Jud takes him up to the ancient Indian burial ground behind the Pet Sematary and has him bury Church without telling him why. When Church appears back home, a bit strange but most definitely alive, Louis uses his knowledge of science to explain the strange phenomenon. When Jud explains to him what he had him do and why he had him do it, he also warns him of a pull that comes from the burial grounds after using them. Louis finally understands what happened but can he resist the pull once the need for the graveyard returns? Or will he give in and make things worse than he ever could have imagined?

I almost didn't read this book. In fact, it was my attraction to the cover that really got me to read it. I am now so thankful to whoever made that cover because I absolutely loved this book! It was absolutely amazing! This is the second book I've read by Stephen King, the first one left a lot to be desired and I really didn't understand what all the fuss over him was about. I read in reviews that the other book was quite different from his usual stuff, but I still wasn't interested in reading his work again. I'm so happy I ended up reading this because it was a million times better than the other book and I enjoyed it so much. 

I really liked the characters and thought they fit well for their parts in the story. The backstories explained particular traits in the characters rather nicely, such as when we learn why Rachel has such an unhealthy fear of death. The childish essence of Ellie and Gage were captured wonderfully and really brought to life.

I didn't find this book to be really scary. I found it was more like chills-down-your-spine creepy amazingness. Maybe that says more about my own weird kinks rather than the book. This book had so many twisted scenes in it that just kept me on the edge of my seat with my heart pounding just wanting more while simultaneously unsure if I could handle anymore. I found this book to be so satisfying in the most twisted of ways and I loved every minute of it. If you're a King fan or a fan of being creeped out and/or scared than you should definitely read this book. I've never seen the movie, but now I will definitely be watching both the original and the remake.

"Cause what you buy, is what you own. And what you own... always comes home to you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz REVIEW

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz 🌕🌕🌕🌕🌑 Blurb When fifteen-year-old Chris Moore is tragically killed in a car crash, Argy...