Wednesday, October 6, 2021

The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix REVIEW

The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
by Grady Hendrix


🌕🌕🌕🌑🌑

Synopsis

Patricia Campbell had always planned for a big life, but after giving up her career as a nurse to marry an ambitious doctor and become a mother, Patricia's life has never felt smaller. The days are long, her kids are ungrateful, her husband is distant, and her to-do list is never really done. The one thing she has to look forward to is her book club, a group of Charleston mothers united only by their love for true-crime and suspenseful fiction. In these meetings, they're more likely to discuss the FBI's recent siege of Waco as much as the ups and downs of marriage and motherhood.

But when an artistic and sensitive stranger moves into the neighborhood, the book club's meetings turn into speculation about the newcomer. Patricia is initially attracted to him, but when some local children go missing, she starts to suspect the newcomer is involved. She begins her own investigation, assuming that he's a Jeffrey Dahmer or Ted Bundy. What she uncovers is far more terrifying, and soon she--and her book club--are the only people standing between the monster they've invited into their homes and their unsuspecting community.

Review

I really enjoyed this book although I didn't find it creepy at all. It was interesting enough to keep my attention throughout the entire story. I didn't like how much the story was dragged out. If it had of been shortened I think it would have seemed less dragged out.

The characters were well fleshed out , although I can't say I actually liked any of them. While I still can't say I liked her, I did feel bad for Patricia. It was very frustrating the way everyone, especially the men, would dismiss her like she had lost her mind. I mean I get that calling someone a vampire would be something most people would dismiss, it was just the way it was done that irritated me.

This is my second novel by Grady Hendrix, the first one being My Best Friend's Exorcism. Unfortunately, I found that one to be much better than The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires. I would still like to read more books by Hendrix in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz REVIEW

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz 🌕🌕🌕🌕🌑 Blurb When fifteen-year-old Chris Moore is tragically killed in a car crash, Argy...