Wednesday, July 14, 2021

The Last House on Needless Street by Catriona Ward REVIEW

The Last House on Needless Street
by Catriona Ward


🌕🌕🌕🌕🌑

Synopsis

This is the story of a serial killer. A stolen child. Revenge. Death. And an ordinary house at the end of an ordinary street.

All these things are true. And yet they are all lies...

You think you know what's inside the last house on Needless Street. You think you've read this story before. That's where you're wrong.

In the dark forest at the end of Needless Street, lies something buried. But it's not what you think...

Review

Thank you Tor Nightfire and Netgalley for a review copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.

At around 50% through this book I almost DNF'D it. I was so freaking close to just closing the book, and walking away. In the end I decided to give it another chapter or two and I ended up finishing the rest of it in one sitting.

As you can guess from my earlier contemplation of continuing to read or not, there was clearly something that just wasn't working for me. At first I was into the story, then I became very bored. I was especially bored during the chapters from the cat's point of view. I really dislike animal narrators and I couldn't see this book going anywhere interesting. As far as I was concerned the book was boring, predictable and I had a lot of other things I could read rather than waste my time.

But then something happened.. and I won't say what but it convinced me to keep going. And then one thing lead to another and next thing I knew I had consumed the entire book and was wrong about everything.

This was a really good book. I really enjoyed it. I loved being wrong the most because this was way better than I  thought it was going to be. 

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love when a book turns it around and hooks you when you weren't expecting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you kept going and found the book to be worth it in the end. I'm a bit confused/curious about the random cat narrations. LOL

    Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz REVIEW

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz 🌕🌕🌕🌕🌑 Blurb When fifteen-year-old Chris Moore is tragically killed in a car crash, Argy...