Tuesday, May 25, 2021

The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend REVIEW

 The Trials of Morrigan Crow

(Nevermoor #1)

by Jessica Townsend


🌕🌕🌕🌕🌕

Synopsis

A cursed girl escapes death and finds herself in a magical world - but is then tested beyond her wildest imagination

Morrigan Crow is cursed. Having been born on Eventide, the unluckiest day for any child to be born, she's blamed for all local misfortunes, from hailstorms to heart attacks--and, worst of all, the curse means that Morrigan is doomed to die at midnight on her eleventh birthday.

But as Morrigan awaits her fate, a strange and remarkable man named Jupiter North appears. Chased by black-smoke hounds and shadowy hunters on horseback, he whisks her away into the safety of a secret, magical city called Nevermoor.

It's then that Morrigan discovers Jupiter has chosen her to contend for a place in the city's most prestigious organization: the Wundrous Society. In order to join, she must compete in four difficult and dangerous trials against hundreds of other children, each boasting an extraordinary talent that sets them apart - an extraordinary talent that Morrigan insists she does not have. To stay in the safety of Nevermoor for good, Morrigan will need to find a way to pass the tests - or she'll have to leave the city to confront her deadly fate.

Purchase Link: https://www.amazon.ca/Nevermoor-Trials-Morrigan-Jessica-Townsend/dp/0316508896/

Review

I simply cannot stress enough how much I loved this book. I was drawn into the story within the first few pages. Morrigan Crow is a cursed child. Born on Eventide, she is destined to die at midnight on her eleventh birthday. However, before death can reach her she is taken away to Nevermoor by a man named Jupiter North. Once she is in Nevermoor she must face four trials in order become a member of the Wundrous Society and stay in the city where she is safe from her death. 

Morrigan Crow has cursed her way to being my absolute favorite fictional character. I just love her so much. I love everything about her. I love her attitude and personality. I delighted in watching her grow and evolve as a character. I just adore her and I don't even know how to articulate my feelings towards her any clearer than that.

While this is not a story about wizards, I did get Harry Potter vibes from it. However, and please don't come for me, I thought this was so much better. I said what I said. No hate towards anyone who loves HP, that is just my personal opinion. If you like HP you should give this one a try, and if you didn't like it then you should give this one a try anyway because it's wonderful.

The Trials of Morrigan Crow transported me to a magical world. In doing so it gave me the strongest feelings of nostalgia as it reminded me of when I first fell in love with reading. It brought me back to the beginning of my reading journey and reminded me why I love reading. This book is so special to me and will always hold a place in my heart. Plus I buddy read this with my 8 year old nephew who also loved it so bonus points for that!

I'd recommend this book to anyone and everyone who is looking for a magical adventure. I already have the second book and I can't wait to read that one with my nephew in June.

3 comments:

  1. I've seen a lot of positive thoughts about this one. And it's popular with a lot of kids at the library. I feel like I should get around to reading it. Thanks for sharing your review - glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love HP, but I really adored Nevermoor. It was just so good and imaginative. I have the second book and need to read it soon.

    Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  3. I though it was a book about Morrigan......

    ReplyDelete

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz REVIEW

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz 🌕🌕🌕🌕🌑 Blurb When fifteen-year-old Chris Moore is tragically killed in a car crash, Argy...