Monday, August 19, 2019

With The Fire On High by Elizabeth Acevedo Review


🌕🌕🌕🌕🌕

Emani Santiago is an amazing chef. Her dishes leave everyone drooling. Her dream is to one day be a chef in her own kitchen. Making that happen is easier said than done however because when Emani was still in high school she gave birth to her daughter Emma. Emani decides to not give up her dream and attends a class trip to Spain despite any challenges that may stop her from getting there. With the Fire On High is an amazing story about what you can accomplish when you decide to get what you want no matter the cost.

The characters in this book are so well done. Emani is such an amazing protagonist. We see her navigate through the struggles of young motherhood in a graceful way. There are such strong relationships present in the book, such as with Emani's best friend and grandmother. The way these relationships are portrayed and they way they progress is done so beautifully. They are realistic and relatable. Even the relationship between Emani and her daughter's father is done wonderfully. We get to see the emotions of not wanting to be without her daughter but also of putting her daughter's best interest before her personal feelings by communicating and having a civil co-parent partnership with him. 

The writing is amazing, the story is amazing, the characters are amazing. And just in case I haven't made it obvious, this book is amazing. This is definitely one of my favorite books of the year so far. I literally cannot say how much I loved this book. Maybe it's because I also got pregnant at 14 and can relate to Emani on such a crazy level. I've read good books involving teen parents before but I've never connected with a book like this. I am literally struggling to write this review because I'm just speechless in the best way. I can't recommend this book enough, I think everyone should read this. It's emotional and powerful. 

12 comments:

  1. I read this one (or, well, listened to it) earlier in the summer and I agree: OMG so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books where you have a connection like you did! Those are the best, in my opinion. With The Fire On High sounds like a great book. I’ll be adding it to my always growing reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend reading this book if you get the chance. I totally love it!

      Delete
  3. I've heard good things - glad you loved it too. I'm all about books with fab characters.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The characters in this book are amazing! Elizabeth Acevedo really blew my mind with this book.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you enjoyed this one. It seems like something I would enjoy as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's absolutely amazing. I definitely recommend checking it out if you have time.

      Delete
  5. I bought The Poet X recently and I didn't realise the author had other books too. This looks great, and the cover is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read the Poet X yet. I have it out from my library and hopefully I'll get it read before it's due back. I agree, this cover is amazing! Everything about this book is amazing lol

      Delete
  6. So... I gather you liked this book! (Just kidding)

    ReplyDelete

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz REVIEW

The Headmaster's List by Melissa de la Cruz 🌕🌕🌕🌕🌑 Blurb When fifteen-year-old Chris Moore is tragically killed in a car crash, Argy...